Sunday 3 March 2013

An Invasion

Faces faces faces.... portraiture... it all seems to come together slowly... wanting to create faces that have more meaning... however that can be achieved...

I found these images of my drawings on my system this morning by coincidence and realised that my interest in portrait photography is deeper rooted than I first thought. And by looking at them I feel this little tingle in my tummy of wanting to shoot clean head shots of people with interesting lighting to really bring out their character and create a sense of "realness" and "being" when photographed. At the same time, by cutting off the rest of the body, the head, the brain, the machine is all that can speak...the one that needs to associate him/herself with him/herself once in that position. 

Taking one way glass with the mirror finish on the one side for people to see their reflection feeling unobserved and then photographing them from the other side of the glass might be the truest way to capture pure expression, but also it might show little nuances you don't want to see, that would destroy you, your perception of that person... it would bring to light the soul (for a lack of a better word), would question it and might even hurt it when exhibiting large prints of that person publicly.

I don't know if I would call it an ethical dilemma. But what would you call it? An invasion? But of what?






No comments:

Post a Comment